Philip G wrote:

> There's arguments on both sides of the fence on this one. I personally
> like
> having organization in my code, which is why I like the multi-file method
> and we can just use APC to speed up code execution. However, not everybody
> has that option, which runs into a problem. On top of that, you start
> relying on your cache, not your code efficiency, for speedy code which,
> imo,
> is very, very bad.
>
> Now, as far as Zend_Loader, don't use it. It completely negates the
> ability
> to use APC. Zend_Loader allows dynamic loading of classes which just
> happens
> to prevent APC's ability to determine which files should be cached. Always
> use require/include for your classes, that way you can use APC and its
> features. Zend_Loader is convenient, but it's not worth the overhead it
> gives. The only situations I use Zend_Loader is during factor class
> creations. That's it.

This is absolutely not true as Matthew already mentioned. Enabling APC
removes almost all overhead for loading those files. I was profiling my code
(for other reasons), I've seen dumps in Kcachegrind, you can do the same.
I guess it wouldn't hurt offering some more options for people that cannot
enable it for some reasons (shared hosting etc) but as general rule, APC is
there to solve exactly this problem. Also opcode caching is in no way
related to writing good, efficient code.

Karol