I believe a lot of folks have been bit by this bug:

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-2978

The solution is posted here:

http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-2978?focusedCommentId=20489#action_20489

Doesn't work because $_lastResponse is a private member.... so try using this:

<?php
/**
* FIXME Use this class instead of Zend_XmlRpc_Client until bug is fixed
* http://framework.zend.com/issues/browse/ZF-2978
*/
class BugFixXmlRpcClient extends Zend_XmlRpc_Client
{
        public function call($method, $params = array())
        {
                $request = new Zend_XmlRpc_Request($method, $params);
                $this->doRequest($request);
                if ($this->getLastResponse()->isFault()) {
                        $fault = $this->getLastResponse()->getFault();
                        throw new
Zend_XmlRpc_Client_FaultException($fault->getMessage(),
$fault->getCode());
                }
                return $this->getLastResponse()->getReturnValue();

- jake