I started looking at Zend_Tool today since I had a bit of free time and I
felt like digging around ;). I'm sure most people would agree that Zend_Tool
will eventually have a pretty drastic impact in how the public view the Zend
Framework which has garnered a reputation as more of a library than a RAD
framework since there's so little binding together the process of building
an application other than spotty documentation detailing tasks which are
commonly perceived as onerous manual stuff better left to a command line
tool. I'm not in that camp incidentally but I am a fan of automation
regardless.

The first thing I'll note is that I don't see many people looking at
Zend_Tool in the short term. While the code has been progressing,
documentation and explanations are sorely lacking. There is little if any
public discussion, and it's hard even for me to figure out what Zend_Tool
even does from what exists. After reading what I could find initially I
gathered it's a command line tool for generating projects - which is old
news. I don't mean to be the naysayer in the crowd, but if you want
Zend_Tool to get attention someone has to put out the word and build up some
enthusiasm and awareness. Where are the blog posts, articles, mailing list
topics, detailed goals and specifics about what is being achieved? Has it
been achieved? When will it be achieved? Outside of a Quickstart guide which
is currently broken, and the possibility (certainty?) of a prototype being
released in ZF 1.6, there is extremely little to go on. Even the proposals,
categorised still as New, are very abstract and don't really fit themselves
well into The Big Picture. The only item I've seen comments on without lots
of digging is the XML Syntax (which is the easy target since everyone knows
what XML is ;)).

Back to my examination...

I updated both the Zend Framework Standard Incuabtor and Core checkouts I
use, and checked out Ralph's ZendTool branch alongside these. After updating
my php.ini to add the branch's /library directory to the include_path, and
adding that ZF_PATH environment var to my system, I finished up by adding
the path to the new /bin directory holding the zf script (zf.bat if you're
on Windows) to PATH.

The first command I made: zf show version

Unfortunately this doesn't work - Zend_Console from the Incubator is missing
a Zend_Console_Context_Interface class which doesn't exist anywhere. I
commented out it's require statement and the class implements phrase to
proceed.

I tried "zf show version" again:

Fatal error: Class 'Zend_Build_Manifest' not found in
/home/padraic/dev/zendi/library/Zend/Console.php on line 84

Another fail, another class which doesn't exist, and another line to tinker
with commenting out.

I don't think I need to continue. Zend_Build_Manifest is a singleton from
the getInstance() static method referred to on line 84 so I assume
continuing the trail will just see more mounting fatal errors. This is
reinforced by the lack of unit tests other than for Zend_Tool_CodeGenerator.

Now I don't really mind all the Quickstart fails - it's a new proposal under
consideration and seeing code for a new proposal is a pleasant but
unnecessary surprise (seeing a 1.6 prototype would be shocking). But the
Quickstart is one of the only introductions to Zend_Tool.

Which brings us back to the first two paragraphs I wrote.

So far I have nothing to comment on, except the lack of anything to comment
on. The only concrete thing I can find is that XML thing. I feel as if the
proposals are running a reverse strategy specifically designed to confound
everyone. There's nothing to indicate the presence of any overarching
proposal which details, in excruciating detail, what's being implemented. I
could guess - but I'm not psychic.

Wil asked why nobody was reviewing these proposals - there's your answer.
There's nothing to review. Unless you want the community to comment on how
cool the PHP code looks. I don't think those are the comments anyone is
interesting in though.

Best regards,
Paddy

-----
Pádraic Brady

http://blog.astrumfutura.com
http://www.patternsforphp.com
OpenID Europe Foundation - Irish Representative