There is one eminent thing to remember...
Performance problems will only occur when no caching is used.

After the first load into cache, ALL adapters have the same performance !!!
The only difference is the first loading time.

Thanks about That Thomas, tmx work correctly only from 1.7 with cache ( locale and translate ) before 1.7 inside cache only the first call to translate are in ( If first user call is en then there's only en string retrieved
, if fr is first call, all user get the french )
Now with the 1.7 all is working as expected.

That was one of the reasons why I reworked I18N.

Greetings
Thomas Weidner, I18N Team Leader, Zend Framework
http://www.thomasweidner.com