Hi Keith & Carlos, first of all many thanks for replying! :)

Re: http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/performance.html
Class loading - I tried commenting out all require_onces in the Zend lib,
this definitely makes a difference if APC is not enabled, but AFAIK, APC
with stat turned off means all require()d scripts are cached? Or am I wrong?
Internationalization - thankfully I don't have to use this on the site...
phew
View Rendering - will definitely look into this... Does this help mem usage
aswell as serve time?

Re: DB, I have FirePHP, the front page query log is : (9 @ 0.01551 sec). Too
much db table loading sounds VERY much something I want to investigate - I
have Xquery installed - I'm a newbie with it, I have webgrind
(http://code.google.com/p/webgrind/) but this doesn't seem to show breakdown
of memory usage, just execution times?

Anyway you've given me a lot to go on so thanks again.