2009/10/30 Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matt...@zend.com>:
> -- keith Pope <mute.p...@googlemail.com> wrote
> (on Friday, 30 October 2009, 04:02 PM +0000):

>> > I would strongly disagree with that move.  I think ZF has always offered 2
>> > solid solutions to modeling: use our Data classes (Table Row, etc) to build
>> > out a proper model, OR use a 3rd Party ORM framework- like Doctrine.
>> >
>> > At ZendCon, i've heard more than one person say "This is the way modeling
>> > should be done" after seeing matthew's talk on
>> >
>> > http://www.slideshare.net/weierophinney/architecting-your-models
>> >
>> > If a project doesn't have the resources to model their data like that, or
>> > they need to leverage the Doctrine ecosystem to get a project done in time.
>> >  But in the most ideal world (where resources are not an issue), I  too
>> > think that this presentation shows how things should be done.
>> >
>> > That said, I think the quickstart should show both options, but focus on
>> > the
>> > Data Mapper, Service Layer stuff.
>>
>> I agree that the data mapper is a good way to do Models etc but I
>> think the basic mapper shown in the quickstart does lead people into
>> trouble. If a newcomer follows the quickstart they soon find out that
>> modeling relations is very hard and they need an ORM...If we had
>> Doctrine 2 integration we can then show the data mapper pattern at its
>> best IMO.
>>
>> I have had this concern with the quickstart for a while :)
>
> I think we can show the current data mapper still, but then have a note
> detailing ORMs and when you need to start using one (vs. a simple
> hand-written data mapper).

Yeah I think thats all thats needed, the only reason I raised it was
that I have been asked a couple of times about the quickstart :)

>> Also will we be deprecating Zend_Db as if we have tight Doctrine
>> integration is there any reason to keep Zend_Db?
>
> There are plenty of reasons to keep Zend_Db. Not everyone will be using
> Doctrine, and for many one-off types of applications (single tables, or
> multiple tables with no relations, etc.), having Zend_Db around will
> continue to be essential. Additionally, one aspect I'd like to explore
> with the Doctrine folks is potentially allowing Zend_Db adapters as
> Doctrine RDBMS adapters; this would provide some very interesting
> integration points.

Sounds interesting I look forward to seeing this initiative develop
further, I would be happy to help in any way I can :)

Once we have the integration especially with doctrine 2 would there be
any further plans to look at things like dependency injection,
criteria objects and repositories or any other DDD tools? To me having
a full suite of tools like this would be a great long term goal?

http://www.thepopeisdead.com