on 15/07/01 09:22, Dorothy B. Tyler at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just got my powerbook back from the hospital (profuse thanks to all
> of the help I got about my dog-slow machine--it was, I was told, a
> bad hard drive).
>
> I "splurged" and bought a battery, since the powerbook only came with
> an adaptor (bought it used).
>
> But the battery won't charge.
>
> I downloaded Battery Reset 2.0, installed and ran it according to
> directions. No luck.
>
> I reset the power manager and did the reset thing again. Still no luck.
>
> If I leave the battery in overnight, with the adaptor plugged in, I
> awaken to a fully charged battery (according to the menu and control
> strip). But seconds after powering on on battery power, I get the ten
> second warning, the display of battery juice zips to zero and the
> computer goes to sleep.
>
> Any ideas?

The battery is dead, or the charge board in your PowerBook is defective.
I've got a similar problem a few weeks ago. In my case, it was easy to point
at the defective board, since all my 3 batteries exhibited the same problem.
In my case, however, the battery would be reported charged only after a few
minutes. Running on the battery however would bring the alert that the
battery was discharged and that the computer was going to sleep in 10
seconds, about 10-15 minutes after running on the battery. If you had
another battery, you could have a better idea. If the other battery does the
same than the first one, than it's the board. If not, it's your battery.

I would make a wild guess in saying that the battery is bad.

-Laurent.