Hi,
Personally I would say that until she's ready to get new applications that
run in OS X, I'd stay in 9.  The things that I have that still run in OS 9
tend to bog things down while I'm in OS X, and there appears to be some
unusual things that happen when I have an app open in 9 and one in X.
Things like windows not drawing completely or dialog boxes that are blank.
If I hadn't gotten MS Office X (in which I do the VAST majority of my work),
I think I'd still be using 9.  Don't get me wrong, though, I LOVE OS X.

Good luck,
Philip

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.