> From: Jen Loewen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: OS X or OS 9
> [snip]
> Is it worth her while (and mine as I have to help her set everything
> up and show her how it works) to run in OS X or should she just stick
> to OS 9?

This is always a matter of personal opinion. It would be my opinion to go
with OS X. Perhaps the biggest reason I say this is because OS X is the
future, and the Ti Book is very capable of running OS X very well.

The bulk of Classic Applications will run well in the Classic environment
of OS X, so even settling into OS X does not mean one looses old favorites.
  It does appear that many commercial applications are taking the
opportunity to charge for upgrades, but a great deal of the shareware
applications that have always been a good deal are providing OS X updates
for free.

OS X also provides an excellent opportunity to reexamine ones software
needs and usage. I found with OS X, that many things I was just sure I had
to have I really do not. Many utility programs I kept and maybe even used
from time to time, are either provided as part of OS X (telnet) or just
found I no longer really needed (SpellTools).

One gentleman posted that he decided to see if he could use his FileMaker
databases in AppleWorks, was surprised that they moved over just fine, and
was delighted that he did not even need to upgrade to an OS X version of
FileMaker. I purchased PhotoShop many years ago. The output from imaging
devices was poor, and most image editors were not that powerful. My
current digital camera produces excellent images, and the shareware tools
(Graphic's Converter) easily have enough features to meet all my needs. So
in those examples one maintains useability without a huge expense.

So unless there is some commercial need or hardware restriction that
prevents one from using OS X, I would suggest that one move to OS X.

--

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.