Hi all-

        I realize that this is totally OT, but my problem is huge and my time is
short. As proof that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, I have somehow
locked myself out of my Applications folder on OS 10.1.3. It started last night, when
I noticed that even though I'm set up as admin on my computer, I couldn't install or
move any files into my Applications folder (this was new - no problems prior to
yesterday).
        Today, I launched SuperGetInfo, and found that admin group was not set to have
write privileges for the folder. I tried to change the privileges and apply the
changes to all the folders inside, but came back with an error. I then tried to change
the owner of the folder to marty (my login), hoping that I'd then be able to regain
privileges. That caused me to be denied all access to Applications entirely.
        I called Apple, and after a bit of work, they said that since I can't access
my utilities like Terminal (since they're in Applications), I'd have to back up,
reformat and reinstall. I can't reinstall X, since the CD has 10.1.1 and the Mac has
10.1.3. Other than:
1) finding someone with a Firewire HD w/OS X to plug in, boot up and fix from there, or
2) buying a new HD, installing X on it and fixing my old drive from there,
does anyone have any ideas?

TIA (and vowing NEVER to mess with Unix again),
Marty Lindower
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.