Marty Lindower wrote:
> Thank you everyone!! Ctrl-S (not just S) at startup got me into single-user mode,
>then chown and chmod did the trick. You guys are all great... saved me from MAJOR
>headaches, backing up 25 gigs onto CD's and buying a new HD.

Thanks I could help a little...Jeremy did more, since he came in with
the correct key sequence ;-)

There's a reasonably good book out (several people have told me so, but
I haven't seen it)

The Mac OSX Missing Manual, by David Pogue:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macosxmm/

And a more general Unix introduction:

Learning the UnixOperating System

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunix5/

Oreilly books are in general, some of the best reference books I've ever
read. They are well written by people who really know their stuff, and
every sysadmin I know swears by them; we have a multitude here in the
office.

The Missing Manual series they have for the Mac is quite good.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.