Thought I'd throw my two cents in as I just went through buying a new
camera.  I settled on the 2.1 megapixel Canon A40, which I found online
for $258 (though with $20 shipping).  I was a journalist just long enough
to know optics are important, and so I went with the Canon.  It's an
actual camera company and the camera reviewed well on the sites already
mentioned on the list.  I also recommend thinking through the memory card
issue and the battery issue.  Another thing the Canon had going for it was
AA batteries, as opposed to some of the camera-specific ones some
companies use.  I bought some rechargeables and can always use regular AAs
in a pinch.  It uses Compact Flash, though it only comes with a 8MB
card -- good for only a few photos.  I got a 128MB card at Sam's Club for
$54.  So the ancillary things ate up near another $100 after I got the
camera.

        The shots I've taken so far are very sharp and up clear.  Camera's
easy to use works with my USB well.  The A-30 is a 1.3 megapixel version
of the same camera; don't know the price.

        Last recommendation: go to pricescan.com and pricegrabber.com to
research the costs.  They saved me $20.

        Thanks,

        joe f.
--