On 19/04/02 03:03, "dominic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What I was asking is there are certain desktops, PowerBooks that have
> been plagued with problems, so what I wanted to know is if I choose the
> g3/300 or the 292 as you mentioned will it be a good stable machine or
> are there potential problems that ill have to deal with.

The only problems with those are the screen hinges that are flawed and give
up after a few years of use, and the Power Management Unit which seems to go
south very often. I would say that a Wallstreet screen that has over an inch
of "looseness" when you move it back and forth is probably approaching a
breakout of the hinges. Once one of the hinge breaks, you need to avoid
opening or closing the lid because the broken hinge can damage the flat
display cable, which would make the repair more expensive. PowerBook Parts
<http://www.pbparts.com> offers nice parts for these problems at good
reasonable prices.

Other than that, they are strongly built laptop. Much more sturdy than the
Pismo line, for instance.

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Washington, DC, USA
choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.