Clyde Kahrl wrote:
>     Film is infinitely better and cheaper than digital.
>     I have done it both ways now, and film is so much cheaper than
> digital there is no comparison.    Film is also infinitely superior in
> quality---by at least 3 orders of magnitude.

Well, film has been around a lot longer, and you have a long-term base
of deep knowledge about file. You are correct about all the drawbacks of
  digital vs film: resolution, dynamic range, cost, etc.

That said, I know at least one professional photographer who shoots
nothing but digital these days.

Yes, he has a pricey camera, but he can use all those same lenses and
the body is the same as he's used to, but now, most importantly, he gets
immediate feedback on what he just took.

The immediacy is a big thing.

He got a mid-range digicam to toss in his bag for web stuff and the
like. Used it intensively on a trip to get used to it.

Came home, went out and bought a Canon Eos digital camera, and has used
little else since.

And trust me, there are HUGE numbers of people who do not know or care
about the difference between Kodachrome and Kodacolor.

And the reason Ektachrome and Kodachrome giove different feels is that
they're balanced for different light: Tungsten vs Daylight.

A number of high-end digital cameras offer just such choices in color
balancing, from frame to frame...try shooting the same scene in chrom
and color in sequence, using a film camera...or at 100ASA followed by
400ASA.

The Olympus E-100RS shoots at up to 15 FPS.

It sounds like you tried a couple cheap cameras, compared what you could
get from your Nikon F1 and a higher-end scanner and decided that digital
is no good.

Digital cameras aren't yet a perfect replacement for film, but they're
certainly not worthless, and they can certainly replace what 99% of
people out there use their cameras for 90% of the time...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.