This was a item that was discussed on this board alot
several months back. There has been alot of problems
with DVD Rom drives for the 2000 Firewire powerbook. I
was one of them. Most cases this happened just after
the warrenty goes. I contacted a apple tech and to
replace the item with exchange is around $500. So
unless you can find one cheap (unlikely) i suggest
goin with a CD RW DVD combo drive by MCE Technologies
the Xcarte Pro Expansion Bay drives (on of the few
after market drives that are CD Bootable as well as
Burn supported. They go for around $350 - $400 this
gives u a DVD rom drive as well as a CD RW drive. I
have the CD RW version and it works wonderfully. I
just got in Feb out of warrenty warrenty on my laptop
for $220 and that covers everything hardware related
for one year. It was well worth as they exchanged my
bad DVD Rom drive for a Good Drive (look to be a
Factory Refurb but it WORKS:o)). This is becoming a
common problem and is known by apple desipt what the
tech reps say. IF you have apple care or are still
under warrenty u can replace the drive but if not your
basically have to chuck out $500 or so to replace the
drive - Replace it with a aftermarket drive or FInd
some resonable warrenty info for out of warrenty items

thanks
James

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.