> While I'm at it, I know that this list has already discussed the topic of
> Powerbooks' rubber feet, but I seem to have lost those messages. Can anybody
> point me to a suitable replacement set of feet and/or reliable adhesive? My
> Pismo lost all its rubber feet some time ago, and I sort of miss them. (It
> slides easily and the bottom's getting all scratched up.)

Here they are:

***

My Ti-400 is always loosening a screw - usually the one nearest the AC
adaptor socket. I suspect the large heat/cool range is at fault.  Any
fixes out there? Also, I lose rubber feet (including that one) which
means desk scratches when I don't notice the screw coming out again.
Are the feet available?

***

Apple has them available, as does (i think) pbparts.com. Apple mailed me
some just a few weeks ago.

Here's what I did, after getting the idea from having the same problem
on my PB G3 (Firewire):

take a small piece of sand paper or a key and scour the inside of the
little hole the foot goes into. then, use some sort of glue (I used
Rubber Cement in -very- small quantities) on the adhesive side of the
foot. insert foot.... and it should stay in longer. On my Firewire, the
feet never came off again. We'll see about the TiBook.

Also, I heartily recommend the CoolPad Podium by RoadTools, which solved
the screw loosening for me. The podium raises the rear of the Powerbook
for better airflow. After I installed an extra 128MB RAM, my fan would
kick on about 3 times a day.... after getting the Podium, it hasn't
kicked on at all.

***

There are commercial products (like LoctiteŽ) to discourage threaded
connections from loosening, but a little rubber cement under the screw
head (and touching the top few threads) might also do the trick.

Wallmart or any decent hobby store ought to have these by the boatload,
any size your want.  To borrow a line from a potato chip
commercial...  You won't be able to get just one.  ;-)

***

someone mentioned that replacement rubber feet could be found at Home
Depot, or some such place. Anyone remember?

***

What works better than the feet is that foam rubber web stuff that's
used to line your kitchen cupboards with.  I just place a piece of that
on the table that I'm using my 'book on, and the 'book's cord can be
yanked right out the back and the 'book doesn't even budge.  A .99 (or
thereabout) roll of it at WalMart is good for about 10 pieces...

***

Try Loctite brand adhesives. . . . . kinda like crazy glue, but better,
if you use the surface insensitive type. Do a search for it at:
<www.mcmaster.com>

But IMHO, I wouldn't want something that would stick too well, because
that would usually mean destroying or discoloring the surface of your
Powerbook. I'd rather have something I can replace without incident
every few weeks.

***

Okay, Gene and everybody - I still have my four feet, but would like to
find an adhesive which will keep the rubber feet/circles on for longer
than a month or two. Any help on that? If it's available at my local
Radio Shack, please post specific type/model # for the glue stuff...

***

I just use some round self-stick plastic bumpers that come on a sheet.
They are usually used for the corners of pictures you hang on the wall
or on cupboard doors. My mom found a couple of sheets at a garage sale.
I don' t know where you can buy them, but any hardware store is a good
bet.

***

I just use some round self-stick plastic bumpers that come on a sheet.

REPLY

Hi - I've been watching this thread with some amusement - me of the
controlled slide persuasion. The well known torsional creakness of
Lombard has long pushed me toward carousels or even magazines as
adjustable platforms that you can slide any which way to adjust your
access to the kb/screen. Enough of! rolling off the rubber pads with
their annoyingly powerful stiction. One exception - when perching ol'
Lommie atop a stereo or whatever with dangling entanglements for the
errant foot a firmer grip makes a little sense (although a good yank
will put it on the floor anyway).

Maybe Apple should introduce the equivalent of "locking casters."

***

  CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.