On 06/06/02 10:05, "Dan Lovejoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Laurent,
> I don't have a suggestion for your router problems, but I'm having a
> weird problem with Cox since I switched over from Roadrunner. Our Cox
> system is configured to hand out IPs like candy, and I have a Linksys
> WAP which doesn't do NAT. (I bought it before I joined this list)
>
> Anyway, Cox will happily give my work ThinkPad an IP (Cisco Aeronet
> Card), my wife's ThinkPad also (Linksys wireless card) but it doesn't
> like my Wallstreet, running OS X, 10.1.5 with a Cisco Aeronet Card. The
> only solution I've found is to reset the cable modem. And I don't know
> if it will then give my wife's ThinkPad an IP after getting the Mac up
> and running. Hmm. When it comes to networking, I'm afraid we are deep in
> the mists of my ignorance.
>
> Anyway, I am also interested in discovering a good, inexpensive, Mac
> friendly router to hook my WAP up to, since Cox will at some point get
> their act together and stop handing out multiple IPs.
>
> On another note, since transitioning from Roadrunner to Cox, I have
> noticed a DRAMATIC improvement in bandwidth and reliability. Just FYI.
>
> On yet another tangent. OS X 10.1.5 runs like a charm on my Wallstreet.
> And I no longer get kernel panics when I eject a PC Card.

I'm not sure I totally understand when you say "Our Cox system is configured
to hand out IPs like candy" specially when I read your problem description
that comes after that statement.

I've been with Cox for quite a while. Initially, all the computers on my
network (3 at the time) could easily get an IP address from Cox DHCP server.
I only had an Ethernet hub connected to my cable modem and all was fine and
dandy. Then, at some point, that setup wouldn't work anymore. The first
computer that would get through the cable modem would get an IP address, but
not the others. I would have, like you describe, to turn the cable modem off
and then back on, and then connect from the computer that needed internet
access. What a pain! That's when, after searching on the internet, I got my
Linksys cable/DSL router. He is the one that gets the only IP address I get
from the Cox DHCP server, and then, using Network Address Translation (NAT),
it can act by itself as a DHCP server on my own network, distributing IP
addresses to any device that needs one. Using NAT, the router is able to
send the information on the internet and when the response comes back, it
can determine what computer asked for it. The other interesting
functionality that can be useful is port forwarding. If you have a computer
on your network that you want to use as a web server, you can set up the
router to forward all packets it receives on a specific port (like 80 for
HTTP requests) to a specific computer on your network.

BTW, if you don't want to go into the trouble of finding and installing a
router to do NAT, Cox will happily rents you IP addresses. Last time I
checked, they were charging $9.95 a month in addition of your cable service
fee. Ouch! With 5 computers on my network, my router will be paid in about 4
months!

-Laurent.