At 9:05 am -0500 6/6/02, Dan Lovejoy wrote:

>SNIP

>  Cox will happily give my work ThinkPad an IP (Cisco Aeronet
>Card), my wife's ThinkPad also (Linksys wireless card) but it doesn't
>like my Wallstreet, running OS X, 10.1.5 with a Cisco Aeronet Card. The
>only solution I've found is to reset the cable modem. And I don't know
>if it will then give my wife's ThinkPad an IP after getting the Mac up
>and running. Hmm. When it comes to networking, I'm afraid we are deep in
>the mists of my ignorance.
>
>Anyway, I am also interested in discovering a good, inexpensive, Mac
>friendly router to hook my WAP up to, since Cox will at some point get
>their act together and stop handing out multiple IPs.

I had the same problem. I bought an Asante Friendlynet router which
attaches to our cable modem (which thus only sees one device). The
router has four ethernet outlets so my Powerbook and the 'family' PC
can both work happily. Apparently the thing also acts as a kind of
firewall. Very happy with it.
--
With best wishes,

Roger Shufflebottom