OK, folks, it seems that my cable router has given up. Don't know what
happened, but yesterday evening, after dinner, when I went to check my mail,
I noticed that I had no connection. I've then checked the cable modem and
then noticed that the router didn't have any LED on, except the power LED.
Went into the resetting, turning off, did a hard reset twice as suggested by
a Linksys technician, didn't do the trick.

Now, I'm going to check to see what's the warranty on that thing and whether
mine is still valid.

In the meantime, I've switched to my ABS to ack as a DHCP/NAT server/router.
It did work fine at first, but what I'm now experiencing is after a little
bit of time, the ABS seems to "loose" the connection to the cable modem and
I suspect one of the computer to appropriate the connection or it is simply
lost in the ether. The only thing that can bring it back is unplug the cable
modem, wait about 10 seconds, then plug it in. After a few seconds,
everything works again. Has anybody noticed this unreliable behavior from
the ABS? It's the 1st generation one. It's connected to a D-LINK 8-ports
switch, which is in turn connected to the cable modem. I was first surprised
to see that the ABS could replace my router even for computers not on
AirPort. However, it seems to be unreliable.

In the meantime, if I ever face the replacement of that failed router, what
would people recommend? I need a router that can act as a DHCP router and be
able to use NAT, because my cable company gives me only one IP address and I
have to use it for the 5 (6 with my Newton) computers that use the internet.
I had the Linksys Etherfast DSL/Cable Router with 4 ports, so I'd like to
replace it with a similar router, with at least 4 ports. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin                            <http://members.cox.net/nemesys>
Logiciels Nemesys Software                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

drone n.: Ignorant sales or customer service personnel in computer or
electronics superstores. Characterized by a lack of even superficial
knowledge about the products they sell, yet possessed of the conviction that
they are more competent than their hacker customers. Usage: "That video
board probably sucks, it was recommended by a drone at Fry's" In the year
2000, their natural habitats include Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, and
CompUSA.