On 06/06/02 11:18, "lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Looks like my warranty is out for my Linksys.
>>
>> I'm looking at D-Link products. They have products that they label as
>> "gateways" and others as "routers". What's the difference?
>>
> Gateways just move packets between networks, Router can redirect
> packets to specific places. Most routers also can act as a firewall
> defending your home network against hackers and script kiddies. You
> want a router that can do NAT. Also, from what I am hearing from some
> of my buddies, I would avoid the Dlinks like the plague. Very
> difficult to setup. Try looking at a few of the other routers below.

Unfortunate, your comments about avoiding D-Link. They are generally cheaper
than Linksys, plus, Kyle doesn't like Linksys, so I thought I would switch
to another brand ;-)

Anybody else had problems with D-Link products, specially routers/gateways?
I currently have a D-Link 8-port switch, but it's probably not as complex as
a router...

I would hate to rule out D-Link, but if I don't hear otherwise, I will trust
Lee and won't take any chance...

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]             Washington, DC, USA
card walloper n.: An EDP programmer who grinds out batch programs that do
stupid things like print people's paychecks. Compare code grinder. See also
punched card, eighty-column mind.