I run my Pismo 500MHz with 640 MB RAM and never had any issues or data loss.
Although, afaik you can loose the data in your RAM when you try swapping
batteries whilst not having the Pismo plugged into AC at the same time. The
internal battery apparently does not have enough capacity to back more than
512MB of memory. This was a minor issue for me, since most of the time I
would run from two batteries on long trips or I had an AC socket handy when
I had to swap. In the worst case you would net to shut down -> swap
batteries and reboot.

HTH