Yes, this is unfortunately a common occurrence. Be very glad that you have it
under warranty. Apple charges around $700 -1100 for this repair (if it's not
under warranty), depending on the mood of the tech you talk to..

IMHO, this is highway robbery, considering the high cost of the machine. And
here's the REALLY ugly part..The truth is that Apple manufactured the hinge
mount using pot metal, which is why they fail so often.. I kid you not. Pot
metal on a space age titanium laptop. Doesn't that make you sick. I'd like to
be the boss of the engineer that make THAT decision!!

On a lighter note...  We at Wegener Media realized last year that this was
going to become a real issue, so we have engaged an engineering firm to
develope better replacement parts.  You can see a short note about it (very
short--we spend our days doing repairs and little time working on the
website) on our site..  I was astounded that the Titanium would have such a
piece of $*@!T in it, so we spent the big bucks designing a replacement part,
using a military alloy that is 2 or 3 times stronger than the original pot
metal.

This isn't an advertisement board, and I'm not meaning to make a blatant ad
here, but hey, you asked.

Thanks,
David

     www.ibookparts.com