Gregory Flinn wrote:

> > Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 10:51:40 -0700
> > From: Kyle Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: G3 Pismo Cooling and Desktop Use
>
> > You should turn your Mac off at the end of every day...unless it is a
> > server.   Sleep it if you aren't sitting in front of it, but shut it off at
> > night.
>
> why?
>
> perhaps a little constructive criticism:
>
> whilst i do shut down my own pismo (ir!)regularly (and only because some
> programme has just done a nose dive, or perhaps to switch OS's), i see no
> reason to need to shut the pb down. i have to admit to finding unqualified
> statements like this not in the slightest bit helpful ... pad it out with
> some justification and then it might be helpful, but as it is it's not much
> use to anyone.

Oh,  so sorry.  This argument comes around every  6 months or so so I thought it
was covered.

Reasons to shut down your Mac every night (even though Apple says it's ok so
sleep it):

1.  It is a waste of electricity.

2.  If their is a power surge, spike or outage in your area it could damage or
destroy your computer.

3.  Shutting down and restarting your Mac dumps the memory heaps and resets the
system solving a ton of potential issues.

4.   A colder computer is a happier computer.  Constant heat form even nominal
operation will reduce the longevity of your mac.

5.  Leaving your Mac on all the time is the equivalent of leaving your car
idling all the time.  The tires won't wear, the transmission won't wear, and
your headlights won't burn out, but it's still running.

6.  Personal experience tells me so.  I have been an Apple Certified Tech since
1991 and a Mac user from the Pre-Mac days.

Kyle H. Hansen
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Solution Expert
Macintosh Server Administrator