> 1.  It is a waste of electricity.

Not related to the computer's health. Especially when you consider a laptops
power drain while sleeping, the power drain of having it in deep sleep for 8
hours while you sleep vs having to fire it up from scratch (work the hard
drive hard, load the OS, load all your apps, etc). We're not talking about a
massive computer cluster, but a small laptop.

> 2.  If their is a power surge, spike or outage in your area it could damage or
> destroy your computer.

Not applicable if you have a decent surge protector or battery backup,
especially due to the powerbook having an internal battery.

In fact, it isn't applicable except as a prevention stand point- under
normal conditions this wouldn't affect the computer.

> 3.  Shutting down and restarting your Mac dumps the memory heaps and resets
> the
> system solving a ton of potential issues.

This is true. But if you aren't having software issues, it isn't applicable
whatsoever.

> 4.   A colder computer is a happier computer.  Constant heat form even nominal
> operation will reduce the longevity of your mac.

Uh, well, to a point. Your computer actually has an ideal operating range,
and it's not 30 degrees F.

A powerbook in deep sleep can be left that way for days and still have most
of its charge. Miniscule power consumed, and miniscule heat is generated.

> 5.  Leaving your Mac on all the time is the equivalent of leaving your car
> idling all the time.  The tires won't wear, the transmission won't wear, and
> your headlights won't burn out, but it's still running.

Uh, well, you basically just said "it is the equivalent of this and this,
except most of what would make it equivalent doesn't apply". And actually,
for a diesel engine it is better to let it idle.

Unless the chips involved are cheap, having them idling does not hurt them-
as I'm sure you well know there are actually two camps in this area, those
that say having them idle is worse than constantly firing it on, and vice
versa.

Basically you have a few things to worry about in your computer that will
wear out (if it is of any quality): the display and the hard drive. If the
display is being put to sleep and not doing the screen save thing all night,
it's not an issue. Your hard drive is generally rated for a specific mean
hours of drive life between failure- ie, it is rated to run so long before
it dies, kind of like a light bulb. Most manufacturers have come out and
said though that this is of heavy use- just being powered on barely has an
effect.

This is the real deal (as I know it)... Nobody actually knows which is
better. There is conflicting data on both sides. Kyle may have found
something that works for him, but none of the reasons he gave above are show
that leaving it powered on hurts the computer.

What is considered the conventional wisdom is that if you are not going to
be using your computer for a set number of hours (8-16, sometimes 24 hours
depending on who you ask) then go ahead and turn it off. If you will be
using it before then, go ahead and let it go into deep sleep.

> 6.  Personal experience tells me so.  I have been an Apple Certified Tech
> since
> 1991 and a Mac user from the Pre-Mac days.

Uh, wow. You were a mac user before there were macs? You =are= smart and
must know your stuff...

Michael Bryan Bell