> This is odd- I'm assuming you're using OS9 if you're required to restart?
> One thing to try would be to not use netscape, and instead mozilla- netscape
> as it stands is running off of an older mozilla code base, and has some
> issues still. <http://www.mozilla.org/>
    I'm using OS9.1. I restart because it's the only way to get the normal
desktop magnification rather than the gargantuan icons which are so large
that I can't reach items. Another issue is that If I put the Pismo to sleep
without first disconnecting from online, and thus the machine has to
disconnect itself before sleep, when I awaken it iTunes will play jaggedly,
off-on, off-on, etc. I then need to restart and it operates okay.

    I've downloaded mozilla, as you suggested, and will load it and use it
and see what happens.

> It mirrors the things you've said, ie they would have their DVD playboy
> stutter every few seconds as the drive unparked its heads to access data,
> etc.
This clicking interruption, however, will occur when the hard drive is not
being called upon to access anything. It can occur when I'm just using Word
and working on a document -- with iTunes music playing, however (is access
to info then occurring?).

> Hopefully under the system profiler you will be able to see what the drive
> is- if it is the hitachi DK23CA-10, DK23CA-20, or DK23CA-30 then it probably
> is the culprit, not your computer.
The drive is DK23BA-20, revision #00E0A0C3. That's 'B,' not 'C.' Good for
that, anyway.

> Dell and Compaq and Toshiba all released firmware updates to fix the
> problems on their machines... But they are PC only. I don't think apple has
> done the same- if you have a PC friend you may be able to upgrade the drives
> firmware on his machine, then swap it back in and see if that's helped...
>
> Otherwise you may solve all your problems by putting in a new drive, instead
> of a new computer.
    Another reason that the shop man advised going to a new machine (besides
a commission -- if he gets one) is that my screen is "pinking" in the lower
corners when initially awakened. This lessens quickly, but some remains
throughout usage. I'm third owner, so no warranty.

Thanks for the advice about drive replacement. I hope that this one doesn't
crash before I get to a solution. This clicking began a few months after the
Hitachi 20g was installed.