On 08/07/02 10:38, "Peter Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> This is a smidge off topic, but I'm having the problem
> on a Pismo 400 so maybe one of you folks can help me.
>
> I recently re-partitioned and re-installed OS X on my
> laptop. I started from 10.0.3, upgraded to 10.1 then
> did the slew of OS and security updates to get it
> fully up to date. Reinstalled my various software
> packages... etc... then I noticed something
> peculiar...
> From the Apple Menu I am no longer able to launch the
> dock or network preferences from their nested
> locations in the dock and location sub menus,
> respectively.
> The System Preferences option under the Apple Menu
> works fine though. I also noticed that this inability
> to be launched also affected the "Displays" menu bar
> icon, I'm no longer able to launch the associated
> preference pane from it. All of the other controls and
> whatnot work just fine, I just can't get into their
> System Preferences without manually opening them.
>
> I ran the usual litany of utilities, the latest
> versions of Norton, DiskWarrior, TechTool, etc...
> booted into single user mode and ran fsck, nothing out
> of the ordinary and no fix to the problem. On a whim,
> I tried out the haxie Fruit Menu, but that didn't
> restore functionality either.
>
> Is there some sort of file or preference that controls
> the apple and display menus?

None that I'm aware of. Your problem sounds strange. I've never heard of
such problem. I would imagine that somehow the preference panes file types
have been somehow corrupted. Preference panes appear as "System Preferences"
documents. Somehow, they're not seen anymore by the system as being those
documents. If you do an "Info" on a preference pane in
/System/Library/PreferencePanes, does the system report them as "Mac OS X
Preference Pane"?

-Laurent.
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Washington, DC, USA
benchmark n.: [techspeak] An inaccurate measure of computer performance. "In
the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and
benchmarks." Well-known ones include Whetstone, Dhrystone, Rhealstone (see
h), the Gabriel LISP benchmarks (see gabriel), the SPECmark suite, and
LINPACK. See also machoflops, MIPS, smoke and mirrors.