> This from PC Magazine (generally a Mac-hostile publication):
> (quoted from a CBS Marketwatch article)

You're kind of misrepresenting the data here. :/

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,182092,00.asp>

In the past, 3-4 some years ago, yes they would bag on apple, although many
times with rightfully deserved bashes- way too expensive, etc. The above is
their review of the new titanium, if you drill down you'll find ones on the
iMacs, the ibooks, etc and they'll all positive with the exception of them
saying the MHz  myth isn't what its cracked up to be.

> the CBS article is at:
> <http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quotes/newsarticle.asp?print=1&symb=&guid=
> {09FFB4A6-24D6-4A34-A117-9E60704493B5}&siteid=mktw>
> (if your email reader breaks this into two lines, make sure it's one line
> in your web browser, with spaces)

I don't get it... It does not say powerbook owners were the least
frustrated. This is what it says:

> Measured by such criteria, this year's least-frustrated consumer owned a
> laptop made by Apple, Hewlett-Packard, Toshiba or IBM; a Sony or Handspring
> handheld computer; or a desktop made by Dell or a local "white box" assembler,
> according to a reliability survey released Thursday by PC Magazine.

That's means apple, HP, toshiba and IBM were all the same, but this was just
an informal poll of 15,000 users on their website. I am only guessing this-
because if it was done correctly and not via a website then they would have
said so and the company that did the market research would be listed.

I'm glad apple didn't do horribly, though. Then again, I can't remember a
web poll that apple ever did

> At PC Mag:
> Their analysis: <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,364590,00.asp>
> Their data: <http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/download/0/1530/notebooks.
> pdf>

Again, just an informal poll. If you actually look at the chart, there
aren't even any ratings for apple, but there are for all the other
manufacturers. Informal polls just don't work- as a guess the reason you
don't see marks for apple or micron or fujitsu is that the readerbase that
goes to the site just doesn't own many. By looking at the numbers, if 10
people voted on apple and 6 gave high marks, they would still get an A.

So, since we can't look at apple's scores- lets look at some of the other "A
rated companies". HP got an A, but 63% of the people had to send it in for
repair. Dell got a B+, but only 26% of those polled had to send theirs in.
The average of those polled that needed a repair was 56%. Lol, the average
of those who thought the tech they talked to was knowledgeable was ~50%.

The big thing to take from that chart is to never buy a Compaq or Acer
laptop (which is well known in the PC world).

Michael Bryan Bell