> I guess I break all the rules then... :)

The most interesting often do.

> Not to argue with you, but to make observations.

So you know, I was being completely facetious in my post. :)

> 1. They may have only sold 300,000 copies, but I would bet my next paycheck
> that that there are at least three times that amount being used from piracy,
> due in part to their high price. Maybe It's different in everyone else's
> circle of friends, but of all the people I know that use computers (and
> there are dozens) - and I mean really know - all have Office (for either
> Windows or Mac) and the latest version of Office I might add, and none of
> them have paid for it. They either steal it from work or "borrow" it from a
> friend. I am the only one that I know of (personally) that buys my software.

Well, you see, MS is charging what they think the market will bear. They
have an application suite that some mac users =have= to have. They know they
can ask those people to bend over and drop their pants to create powerpoint
presentations and they'll do it. In this case they're asking for $500 for an
office suite, where 99% of the "improvements" are interface related.

$500 can be a little hard to swallow though when you're a small business or
fledgling user- you can buy a decent PC or almost buy a mac for that. So
piracy is going to happen... And I also know others who have pirated it.
Piracy will =always= be around. But when you charge $500 for a basic app,
you're just asking for it.

I myself own 3 copies of it, 2 full priced and 1 I got for $50 as a good
friend has a son in law who works in the MS office group and they have
=awesome= prices for employees in the microsoft store.

> 3. I use Entourage X for my corporate email. It works just fine for the
> email (we don't use it for scheduling). Contacts I can really do without
> since I have all the email addresses I really need.

I do also- I've tried them all, and like eudora and entourage the best for
OSX. I still have to use outlook 2001 for two of my biggest clients as they
mandate it for security/scheduling reasons. Eudora is really growing on me
though, mostly just because I trust it so much more. I've had way nasty
stuff happen to entourage databases.

I still can't give up office if I wanted to though- 90% of the strategy
plans I deliver need to be in word, and almost everything I'm given is
either in word or powerpoint. :(

> 6. I can't help but to just loooove those "scribbly things." Steve is just
> mad because he didn't think of it, I think. I still have my Newton MP 130
> sitting around...but my Palm is much more productive *for me*.

Heh, I never had a newton... But I had an emate. I'm still not sure what I
was thinking when I bought it. Must have been all of apple's taco bell cross
marketing.

> The entrance price is rather high, although they are pretty liberal with
> their upgrade policy. Which the more I think about it, should be because you
> get charged almost the same price as office if you just buy one of the
> components.

Bundling. :/ It's a bad thing. It's effectively killed off any competition
in the word processing/spreadsheet/corporate presentation market. Of course,
I will laugh my =ass= off if apple starts charging for iTunes or iMovie and
such in the future like they are with .mac.

*sigh* I can't even imagine what would happen to apple if MS discontinued
office- it's that important now.

Michael Bryan Bell