Just couldn't help myself when I saw this commercial just now. It was one of
the Apple "Switch ads, and I think that funny looking guy hit the nail right
on the head.

    "It's like being in a bad relationship."

Sure us Mac users are really angry about what has come of this year's
Smack-to-the-Mac-World-Expo in NY. However, how many of us are still kind of
teetering with the idea maybe just going ahead with this $49 subscription
thing just to see what may come of things or just to support their beloved
Apple Computer at this time or some other godforsaken, dumb, abused-partner
reason to stick with Apple on this one and just see things through on this
one.

One thing's for certain. Between charging people full price for what can
debatably be called an upgrade and not a new OS, there's now a certain
pronounced distrust of Apple by many of us in the Mac community. I wonder
how they're gonna gain back the trust and support of some of its lost sheep
who might be tempted towards "the Dark Side" or stray deeper into the
wonderful world of Linux geekdom.

There's definitely a certain "clunkiness" to the whole .Mac thing. Aside
from being a totally confusing thing. (What, do I type in www.apple.mac now
instead of .com?) And what's wrong with charging people a nominal fee for
basic e-mail service? If you've got 2.2 million subscribers already and it
seems that the majority wants just a good email service. What's so difficult
about saying, "hey, gimme 20, 30 bucks a year just for 5-10 megs of email. I
know we may have said (*not confirmed at this time*) it would be free for
life, but that was in another world when free somehow meant more revenue for
us. Sorry. Pay up!"

What about families? You mean to tell me mommy and daddy have to shell out
$99.95 a year, plus $10 for each additional mailbox for mommy, junior, and
babygirl. Then who gets the good account with the huge space and the little
photo signature feature? I foresee some serious sibling/spousal rivalry
going on here.

Apple, you always say "Think Different". Well, we Mac users out here just
want you to THINK on this one. Seriously.