On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 06:58  AM, G-Books wrote:

>>> They weren't going to originally- it was only after the big fit by
>>> users
>>> that they started offering it in stores for free.
>>
>> That is incorrect. Mac OS X 10.1 was announced as a free upgrade from
>> day 1 at MWNY last summer.
>
> That is like a gas station saying "come tomorrow and you can have free
> gas!"
> But then charging you $20 to get in the parking lot to access the gas.
>
> It was "free" but you had to pay apple $20 to get it. Enough of a
> ruckus was
> raised that they ended up giving it out at applestores and compusa's I
> believe, for a limited time. It was then extended.

This, as well, is incorrect. I was AT the MWNY keynote last year. During
the keynote, it was free-with-shipping-and-handling and I'm pretty sure
he said it'd be available completely free at local AASP's, etc. (I could
be wrong about that).

Even if he didn't mention it being free at local AASP's, EVERYONE at the
Apple Booth was saying that mere moments after the keynote.