From: Miller, Kimberly [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2002 8:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: iBook vs. PowerBook

I'm starting medical school in the fall, and looking to get a laptop to
replace my iMac DV (400 MHz, 128 MB RAM, OS 9.2) that I bought in January of
2000.  For what I currently do with the computer (usual email, web browsing,
word processing, and digital photo editing), the iMac is actually almost
sufficient except for it's small amount of RAM.  The photo editing is a bit
slow, but I'm not working with huge files so it's usable.  So that makes me
lean towards the iBook.

BUT.  I'm slightly concerned about investing in a computer for the next 3-4
years that is already the only computer in Apple's line to still use the G3
processor.  To be short, what it sort of comes down to is that the Powerbook
costs 33% more than an iBook.  Will it be usable an extra year for a medium
user like myself?

Of course I would appreciate the better screen and faster performance, but
not sure I can justify the extra money if it's not likely to outlast the
iBook in terms of becoming obsolete.

Prices and specifications:
iBook: $1932
700 MHz G3