Stout just started it this year and I really don't know about all of the
other schools in the UW system, but they are firm about having to purchase a
PC. Students that are in the "Arts" get a Mac instead, but they also get no
choice, even though they already are getting the best laptop for the job.

The cost (rental) is $500 per year, with a new laptop  (unspecified model or
make) after two years, but if anything happens to the computer, the user is
responsible for the cost of fixing it, not Stout.

Tom