Ian - I feel your pain.  Twice in large family
gatherings I tried to hook up my PB to do a slide show
on TV and got only a scrolling display.  Turned out to
be set to a European PAL (50hz) format instead of the
local NTSC (60 hz).  Figured it out, but not in time
for the two shows, or to avoid Mac jokes.

TV sets are not 640x480, they are approximately
512x392 (I'm not sure about that last number).  When I
choose that format off my menu for DVD playing on the
TV, it looks fine.  Using a direct S-video cable into
your TV (if you have the input) will be a marginal
improvement, but mostly unnoticeable.  I always use
the S-video to RCA adapter with no ill effects.

I can't comment on the games, because most of mine
default to 640x480 on the primary monitor and won't
let me choose to show them on a TV.

Crappy video on a projector is most often because
someone uses the S-video hookup instead of the monitor
video cable.  If you still get bad results with the
monitor video cable, do a side-by-side with someone
else's laptop (PC and/or Mac, same cables, same
program, same image, etc.) and report the results.  I
missed your original post, but would be glad to try to
help if you can offer more info.

- Jeff Lentz