On Sunday, October 13, 2002, at 10:52 AM, hal9000x wrote:

> I have seen these HD upgrades being offered by MCE
> http://store.powerbook1.com/ibhardrivup.html. You have to send the unit
> in. Anyone have any experience with or opinion on this company and the
> service?

Thanks for the link  I may look into this service myself. I mean the
prices seem reasonable when you think about the cost of drives and the
amount of labor involved. But I couldn't find any info on what brand of
drive they want to put in there. For that I'd just give them a call and
see. I'd probably want to keep the old drive rather than get just a $30
rebate for it. I'd just stick that in a firewire case and be on with it.

> I am a little leery of sending the unit in to them. They  seem to
> indicate it is impossible to perform this upgrade yourself.

MCE seems like a fairly respectable company from what I've heard. I've
seen a friend do this upgrade and believe me, it wasn't pretty but it
was doable if you have the patience and knowhow. I've never done
business with MCE, so I'd say be careful and dont leave any *sensitive*
data on there if you choose to send it in.

Also, possibly more importantly check to see if there is any warranty
on their parts and service. If they stick a drive in there and it
breaks something else will they fix it or pay for it to be fixed? Or
will they just say it wasn't working when it got there? Just be a
cautious and educated consumer. Cover your end!

Seth