I have a refurbished 550 Ti-Book purchased late March 2002.
Warranty and support are for 1 year.
        My ethernet port has never worked as well as I thought it
should in loggin in, etc.
        In May, It stopped working with one of my 10/100 switches. in
June it stopped working with my Farrallon 10/100 switch at home (it
would light the light on the switch and say that it was connected but
the TCP-IP Number would change every 5-15 seconds).  It would not
work with my skynet switch, my linksys router, my old assante router
and my brand new assante router.  It would only work on the 10B-T
ports of my Asante switch--not the 10/100 ports.   Apple has
consistently given me the run around on this.
        Finally, three weeks ago, my port quit entirely.  Apple
refused to talk to me.  Apple claimed that my machine was not
registered even though I can go online and find service notes on my
Ti-book.  They claimed that only one of the 4 macs that I have
purchased in the last 4 years was registered.   AND THIS IS SO even
though I purchased it at the apple store !!! and I have actually
purchased OSX and so forth!!
        Apple said that even though I might have a warranty claim I
had to pay them $50 to look at it.  They denied that I was entitled
to 1 year support for my refurbished book.
        So I paid them $400 for Applecare.
        They fixed it, and it is clear that the ethernet never worked
right in the first place.  It logs on great now.
        As a further matter, my internal drive got all screwed up,
because while I was trying to back up by way of the IR port, I
booted in OS 9 and the system froze.  I could only get it restarted
with the interrupt button which screws up the date and time--my
folders and files got screwed up dates (I don't know why) and now my
files are a mess.
        Being a lawyer, I figure I'll sue them if I have some free
time.   I should never have had to had the port go out altogether
anyway.
        As an aside, my Lombard had the same thing happen to
it---later.   It happened when I plugged it into the power while it
was on the network.  The Lombard's ethernet was gradually going bad
also.   I replaced that ethernet with an Assante card.  Wow, what a
difference.
        I have always believed that Apple's  built in ethernet was a
strength, but based upon my experiences (I also had a PM7300  whose
ethernet gradually went bad and then died--and it was not just the
10B-T that died, the AAUI went bad simultaneously -- the ethernet
will log on when it is cold--but when it gets just slightly warm it
goes dead.)   Without ethernet your modern Mac (or pc) is in serious
trouble.  IR is useless.  Target firewire is pretty good.  10B-T is
really slow for serious file transfers now that OSX has added so many
files.