> The basic layer is what is called Darwin. This is an open source
> project, I
> think that's the right term. It means that anybody can collaborate to
> the
> core project, and Apple (or some kind of a governing body?) reserves the
> right to include the modifications in Darwin. Darwin is the Apple's
> variant
> of Unix. Darwin runs on PowerPC and on x86. When they say that Unix can
> run
> on any platform, it means that usually, you start with the C source
> code to
> the system and you then compile it on the platform you want to deploy.
> Usually, Unix is based on ANSI C. There are some variations among all
> Unixes
> out there, however. Also, depending on the processor, the developer that
> wants to compile some Unix tool for a given processor might have to
> tweak
> the variables defined used by the code, because some processor are
> "big-endian" and others are "little-indians" (for more details about
> that,
> see <http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/big_endian.html>). What makes the
> Mac
> what it is is Foundation and AppKit, a collection of Objective-C classes
> that provide everything you see when you boot into OS X. AppKit is
> actually
> Aqua, but it's also using Foundation. There are also other components,
> like
> CoreFoundation, but most of what is used to build applications right
> now is
> probably Objective-C. The majority of applications provided by Apple are
> from Foundation/AppKit. That's the part that makes OS X incompatible
> with
> any other platform. However, there are rumors that Apple is secretly
> maintaining an x86 version of OS X, so that whenever changes are made
> to the
> main code, it recompiles OK on a x86 architecture. That helps find some
> bugs
> sometimes, because it requires more discipline when writing code to
> different architecture and that's apparently the purpose of this secret
> x86
> version.
>
> FYI, OPENSTEP, the OS on which OS X is heavily based, was running on
> Intel
> processor. Since Objective-C is based on C, it is relatively easy to
> recompile any Objective-C framework to a different architecture...
>
> -Laurent.

Wow! I'll have to re-read this to take it all in, Laurent.
(By the way, thanks to everyone who's replied to this thread!)
So Foundation/Appkit is the proprietary part of this whole Unix picture?
Is Cocoa a BSD version of Unix that is more compatible with
Foundation/Appkit?
This is getting interesting.
:)
Donald