on 23/10/02 00:29, Justin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i found a "Family PC" magazine, which had a little article about Cocoa,
> and they were talking about how its a great new programming
> environment, thats simple enough for kids to learn (it appeared to be a
> graphical environment?)
> this magazine was published in 97 iirc.... os10 wasnt around then, and
> they were demoing it on whatever the current system was then (this was
> around the time of clones)
> it looked pretty interesting...but doesnt appear to have anything to do
> with unix.

It's the best development environment out there, period. And I've tried
many, including MS Visual Studio, CodeWarrior Mac/Windows, etc.

The Objective-C language is based on C and SmallTalk. It's a real
object-oriented language, with no retro-fitting of missing features, like
C++ has had over the last few years. Plus, it's not grammatically convoluted
like C++ and is way more dynamic than Java. The runtime system in OS X that
executes Objective-C code is fantastic.

I think that the reason why it may be confused about a graphical environment
is because of InterfaceBuilder, which lets you build graphically your
interface. The most interesting part of InterfaceBuilder is that, as opposed
to most other graphical interface builder, the objects you put in a window,
for instance, are real objects, not a false representation that mimics what
the real object behavior would be. That's because of the highly dynamic
nature of Objective-C and the runtime system running at the OS level. So,
after you put a few widgets together, you can test your stuff in
InterfaceBuilder and see exactly what would happen. You can even write your
own widgets and make them available to InterfaceBuilder, so that the next
time you write a great app, you just grab your manufactured widget from the
InterfaceBuilder palette and just put it where you want it to be. It's that
simple.

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin      AIM/RV: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org>
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:laurent.daudelin@;verizon.net

case and paste n.: [from `cut and paste'] 1. The addition of a new feature
to an existing system by selecting the code from an existing feature and
pasting it in with minor changes. Common in telephony circles because most
operations in a telephone switch are selected using case statements. Leads
to software bloat.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>