On Friday, November 8, 2002, at 12:31  PM, Vic Viet Duong wrote:

> Greetings everyone,
>
> I have several more questions about the whole 802.11b thing:
>
> 1-Can someone explain why the D-link Wi-Fi  D-614+ router is claiming
> 22mbs?
> Can any macs reach this speed with the current airport card?

IIRC.... the ROUTER is capable of 22Mbps, but each client is still
limited to 11Mbps. Basically, this is only important if you have a
small boatload of wireless computers. Realistically, though, the
difference (on the internet) between 1Mbps and 11Mbps and 22Mbps is
negligible. Most internet communication is effectively limited to 1Mbps
anyway. 11Mbps vs 22Mbps is really only important on the local subnet.

> 2- Is there any way to secure my wireless router? (keeping other
> people from
> surfing on my line?) Are there software that allows me to track
> activity on
> my router?

there are several ways. turn of DHCP and assign IPs manually. enable
WEP encryption. enable Access Control (ethernet hardware ID ("MAC"
address) filtering).

whether there's software to track activity is completely dependent on
the router. most commercially available, consumer grade routers (wired
or wireless) don't include this functionality.

> 3- What are the latest predictions on when Apple will jump on the
> 802.11a
> bandwagon? (54mps?)

One never knows what the future may hold. The last I heard (admittedly
over a year ago), MOSR and other rumor sites were leaning towards Apple
going to 802.11G, rather than 'A'. Benefits include better range than
'A' and complete interoperability with current generation Access Points
and Cards. 'A' hardware is completely standalone, and in order to use a
'B' card, you have to buy an 'A' access point that also supports 'B'
(separately from the 'A' component).

Personally.... I'm skeptical about any move away from 802.11b in the
nearish future. making a jump above 11Mbps will only have an impact on
LAN traffic -- your access to the internet won't speed up any in 99% of
all cases. Broadband DSL and Cable Modems cap out at 1.5Mbps or so, at
the highest end. Why rush to 54Mbps.... when your internet connection
isn't even totally utilizing the current generation 11Mbps?

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>