>Greetings everyone,
>
>I have several more questions about the whole 802.11b thing:
>
>1-Can someone explain why the D-link Wi-Fi  D-614+ router is claiming 22mbs?
>Can any macs reach this speed with the current airport card?

I remember seeing something about it somewhere, one of the mac based
news sites. As I recall, the 11b is incompatible with 11, which is
why it gets twice the speed. And with the backwards compatible (mean
'regular' 802.11 cards can work on it) 11a around the corner, its not
likely it'll be very widely accepted. Perhaps its the other way
around though, 11a is incompatible and 11b is backwards compatible.

>2- Is there any way to secure my wireless router? (keeping other people from
>surfing on my line?) Are there software that allows me to track activity on
>my router?

Wireless is inherently insecure. But the obvious things are to
configure it tightly (that is it will only work on ports you allow,
no others) and to use 128 bit encryped passwords. This is good enough
for 'home use' but I'd hate to hear my bank or someplace that had
important data allowed it to travel over a wireless network.

>3- What are the latest predictions on when Apple will jump on the 802.11a
>bandwagon? (54mps?)

Dunno this one. After all, 802.11 is faster than even my cable modem
can deliver data, and there aren't that many people hooked up to T3's
or better. Kind of like gigabit ethernet. Useful if you have a
specialized need for it, overkill for a 'home' user.

Send list messages to:  <mailto:G-Books@;mail.maclaunch.com>
For digest mode, email: <mailto:G-Books-digest@;mail.maclaunch.com>