specs for those machines (in a lot of cases) were printed before larger
dimms were available for testing....they say 192, but the machine can
actually page more. not sure if you could do 512, but surely more than
192. if i remember correctly, you need to install a low-profile so-dimm
in the lower bank. service center install VERY optional......they are
just trying to bring in some revenue charges, with installation that
can be accomplished by a poorly trained chimpanzee.

on a more personal note, i see we are from the same area... a
suggestion, don't get your ram over at micro-world (on the vestal
parkway, i believe the only mac-centric store in the area)
i've had bad experiences w/ them, and they are HORRIBLY overpriced! (at
least the last time i bothered to deal with them......... if i remember
correctly they wanted well-over a 100 dollars for a 512 meg so-dimm for
my ibook 500)