Yes, it will. UNIX OSes love RAM, a lot, and their performance is
directly tied to it, more so than other OSes. Mac OS 9 would plateau
after a while but Mac OS X continues to improve the more RAM installed.
I have 768MB in my Pismo 400 up from 320 a week ago, very noticeable.

Mac OS X is great at paging to the hard drive [it always does it] so
you will increase application reaction greatly with more RAM, also it
will drop the amount of time your hard drive spins as it will page it
less often.

David