David M. Ensteness writes:
 > Interesting, I had never heard anything like this. You know of any tech
 > data on it? It seems like poor planning on Apple's part if its true.

        It's amazing that it's even possible - I know of no other
manufacturer that puts this kind of functionality into their machines.

        The memory used in these machines requires standby power, as
well as periodic refresh. The drain on the power source is dependent
on the amount of memory installed (as well as the actual technology
used for the memory - different "generations" can have very different
power requirements.)