There was just a issue raised on the local TV station last week about this
very topic, concerning Government HD's that were going to surplus sales and
the safety of information that was previously on the drives.

The conclusion of the story was that in order to be completely safe, the
drive has to be destroyed physically and that no program will give you
complete security from someone that really wants your information. A drive
recovery company or the Fed's, can get your info if they want it no matter
what program you run to erase the drive, so I guess it is a matter of how
worried (paranoid, works too) about your data, as to what you need to do.

Obviously, if you need to send the drive back for replacement, you will have
to do the best you can with the programs that are out there and probably be
completely safe!

Tom