on 11/25/02 14:24, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote:

>> and dropped the 550...  The display cracked and some stuff came loose
>> inside..submitted a claim to Nationwide, they got an estimate of over $1000
>> to repair it so they sent me a check for $985 (after deductible)which I
>> promptly used towards buying a Pismo on ebay.
>> Moral of the story...Make sure that you have an insurance
>> policy...as an
>> apt dweller
>
> No offense, but you feel it "OK" to ask your insurance company to pay for
> something like that?  That seems a bit like theft to me.  Can some other
> homeowners chime in and tell me that this is the norm?  If I dropped my
> TiBook I would not look for a loophole of coverage...since it was my mistake
> and I dropped it.  Even if my home was being broken into, I could still
> manage to set my laptop down before grabbing my 9mm and going on to
> investigate.
>
> Now if my home caught on fire while I was away and burned up my
> laptop...well that would be a different thing.

It all depends on the insurance coverage. Yes, even carelessness can be
covered (heck, even stupidity can be covered). That's why they call it
insurance. You can even insure yourself against claims for excessive
violence and lost future earnings from thieves (or their heirs) that you
shoot while they're burgling your house. And you needn't even worry about it
somehow not feeling "OK". Ain't free enterprise great?

Chris H