On 11/25/02 6:50 AM, "K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Spew into the Cybertrough:

> EXCUSE ME???  THEFT???  The damage occurred during the prevention of greater
> damage to my home...A police report was filed and the adjuster ( a Nationwide
> employee rather than an independent adjustment firm, BTW)  had absolutely NO
> problem with the claim..   They could very easily have rejected the claim but
> my actions prevented a much more expensive claim....I find your reasoning to
be irrational, to say the least...that's what insurance is for...it was NOT
> intentional, it WAS an accident..so if you are stupid enough to park your
> vehicle on a street and it is stolen, by your reasoning you shouldn't be able
> to file a claim because your mental deficiency  is responsible for the
> theft...BTW...The vandals were later apprehended because I was able to provide
> a license plate off of their vehicle...it also cleared a series of vandalism
> reports...

I asked a group of my friends and co-workers this morning and *all* of them
thought that it was an accident on your part and that your insurance company
should not be held responsible.  My friend Theo stated that if you had used
the powerbook as a weapon and hurled it at the vandals/burglers then he
thought that it should be covered, but since you just dropped it rushing out
to investigate it was your fault and you should be responsible for it.

> I have respected your extensive contribution to the list, but I feel that in
> this case, as well as in a recent discussion, you over-stepped the bounds of
> civility and I would respectfully request an apology..

I did not call *you* a thief.  All I said was that is seemed a bit like
theft.  Insurance fraud is a huge problem in this country.

Lets say that some normal "joe" accidentally dropped his laptop and cracked
the LCD.  What's to stop him from making up a story that "my house was being
broken into, and I leaped up and dropped my powerbook" on a whim.  He could
then call the police and file a report, without anyone ever having been
there, take the padded estimate and go to eBay and buy a Pismo.

I have no doubt that your story is true, I am just illustrating a point.
But since another list member stated that insurance companies will pay for
an "act of stupidity" then I guess.... whatever!  All the others whose
premiums go up as a result of people filing claims like that one will no
doubt be happy as well.

The way I was raised would not allow me to do that.  I accept responsibility
for my actions.  Even if I was doing a noble thing by stopping a rash of
home vandalisms, I would not have filed a claim for dropping my laptop on my
way to the door.  I guess it's just me.

Kyle H. Hansen
Apple Certified Technician
Apple Solution Expert