Bill:

        I'm going through the same decision loop.  I sold my Pismo about a
month ago and am waiting until the announcements in January to see what
I want to buy.  But my wife has a PC, which I (re)built.  I would love
to build another for myself with all the latest goodies.  I love the
idea until I think about firing it up and running Windows.  Don't have
a ton of with XP, but 2000 is still clunky as hell (though it crashes
less) and dealing with Microsoft and the Wintel world in general is
still like dealing with phone company or the cable guys.

          I've been with OS X since 10.1 and what was true of OS 9 is still
true of X: it's just a nicer experience.  It's smoother, more elegant
and it does what I expect and want.  Going back to OS 9 is actually
bothersome now.  Windows is always a struggle, and I've been using both
X86s and Macs since the mid-80s.

        And I don't take .Mac as a sign that Apple is getting like Microsoft.
It's dealing with the same downturn everybody else is dealing with.
Buy a PC and go through the Microsoft registration process and see how
that feels.

        Good luck whichever way you go.

        Sorry if this is OT for some people, but keeping somebody on a
PowerBook (versus a Dell) would seem to be on topic.

        See ya,

        joe f.
--
Joseph Ferrare