On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:25 PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> That's simply not true.  The digital camera market is very fragmented
> between USB 2 and Firewire, and they typically only have one of the
> two.
> As pixel sizes become larger it becomes even more of an issue.  Card
> readers of various types are also quickly converting to USB 2.  Ditto
> handheld uplink devices.  If you're talking about *computers*, I agree
> -
> that's exactly what I'm complaining about.

Virtually all Digital Camcorders out right now are Firewire. I can't
name one that isn't, off the top of my head.

Virtually all Digital Still Cameras out right now are USB. Similarly, I
can't find any with USB 2. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Every USB 2 device I've seen yet is a hard drive that also has FireWire.

> Put another way, the difference between USB 1 and USB 2 (11vs400Mb) is
> enormous benefit to have.  The improvement between Firewire and F2
> (400 vs
> 800Mb) is much less so - you usually can't dump 50MB/sec to disk
> anyway,
> never mind 100MB/sec.

aaaah, two flaws in your logic. you're assuming a single computer
connected to a single peripheral. you're also mixing Mb with MB. Bus
throughput is measured in Megabits per second (Mbps). Hard drive
transfer rates are measured in Megabytes (MB). (this doesn't really
affect the outcome of your statement -- a single device isn't usually
going to saturate a USB 1 bus, much less a USB 2 or FireWire bus;
similarly, your 784kbps (or worse) Cable or DSL connection isn't going
to be saturated by a single computer, regardless of your browsing
habits).

The difference between 400Mbps and 800Mbps becomes a much bigger deal
(MUCH!) when you're talking about a set up like mine. I have 2 hard
drives, a CDRW drive, a scanner, and an iPod (intermittently
connected). I'm also about to add another FireWire drive or perhaps a
FireWire RAID array, doing away with my older, slower drives. I'm also
looking at a firewire based MIDI rig.

Not one of these devices alone will benefit from being on a 400Mbps bus
(or higher), except maybe the RAID array (theoretically, at least).
Combined onto the bus together, I already run into a slow-down a couple
of times per day, particularly when I add syncing my iPod to my normal
workflow. I'm sure it'll happen more often soon. For my uses, it might
never happen @ 800Mbps... or very rarely, at least.