On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 03:06 PM, Luca Rescigno wrote:

> That's a great point. Some people are very forward-thinking, perhaps
> too much so, and they're always saying how CD audio is perfect and
> everything else is measured against it. But others set the benchmark at
> vinyl records, claiming that those are perfect and that CDs are too
> "distant" or "tinny." I am somewhat inclined to agree, but vinyl has
> too many disadvantages. It's difficult to obtain music on records these
> days, it's difficult to transfer music around on records, they wear out
> over time, and, obviously, they are not portable.
>
> I'll have to hook up the old turntable and compare some of my digitally
> mastered, digitally encoded music to its analog equivalent.

I bought some old 33s at a garage sale over the summer of CDs that I
own.  After hooking my dad's marantz and amp to my aiwa mini-system, I
was blown away at what I was missing.  Sound wise, I found the vinyl to
be much better.  Again, the whole portability issues kills it.  I don't
hear that type of range in the hip hop music I'm listening to today.  I
think it's because they use the new digital equipment before they press
it on vinyl.

--markemmanuel

http://www.markemmanuel.org/