On 14/01/03 12:37, "Brian C. Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/14/03 11:46 AM, "Laurent Daudelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Anybody has any comment on the Travelstar 48GB? It's a 12.5mm drive with a
>> 5400rpm speed. I have the chance to get one used, so if you can also suggest
>> what price you think it's worth, that'd be awesome!
>>
>> Thanks all!
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> I have had one of these drives for the past year in an external buss powered
> enclosure. It is used to record 8 channels of 24bit 96KHz audio from my
> firewire audio interface. Works great in OS 9.2.2 but loses itself in OS
> 10.2. I suspect the bridge is not completely OS 10 compatible. As long as
> you keep the drive active in OS 10 there are no problems. Yes the drive is
> very quiet. I paid about 300$ last year from Bason Computer. Don't visit
> their site if your are allergic to PC's.

What do you mean, "loses itself in OS 10.2" and "the bridge is not
completely OS 10 compatible"? I would probably replace my internal 20 GB
with that drive, but I certainly don't want to have problems. Do you mean
that, for example, if the laptop is put to sleep, I might have problems
waking it up? Isn't the ATA interface a universal thing, i.e. if it's ATA
and the computer supports ATA, it should just work? I'm asking because I'm
not a total expert on these matters and before committing money to this, I
want to be sure it would work. Unfortunately, the seller isn't able to help
me, hence my request to the list.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

-Laurent.