On 1/14/03 1:11 PM, "Laurent Daudelin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> What do you mean, "loses itself in OS 10.2" and "the bridge is not
> completely OS 10 compatible"? I would probably replace my internal 20 GB
> with that drive, but I certainly don't want to have problems. Do you mean
> that, for example, if the laptop is put to sleep, I might have problems
> waking it up? Isn't the ATA interface a universal thing, i.e. if it's ATA
> and the computer supports ATA, it should just work? I'm asking because I'm
> not a total expert on these matters and before committing money to this, I
> want to be sure it would work. Unfortunately, the seller isn't able to help
> me, hence my request to the list.
>
> Thanks in advance for the clarification!
>
> -Laurent.

When I run any rev of OS 10 this drive mounts fine but after a period if
inactivity (no disk access) the drive will not respond to any access
attempts. Double clicking on the drive icon on the desktop gives the beach
ball of death in finder, needing a re-launch. A firewire reset will bring
the drive back though. I would love to find a solution as my audio apps are
moving very fast to OSX.

My drive being external requires a firewire to ata bridge in the case. I'm
sure the bridge manufacturer only cares about PC's. Oxford 911 chipsets in
the bridge make throughput as fast as the spec allows but at the expense of
total compatibility. A different case may help my situation. On a standard
ata interface I believe you will be OK but I have not tried this drive
internally yet.

I would be very cautious with travelstars of any type. They don't have the
best rep for quality due to a specification that is ignored in the OEM
market. Travelstars have two versions of "recommended power on hours".
Looking at the model number on the drives (not the part number) you have
either an "atcs05" or an "atcx05" as the last six digits on the drive.
Stay away from the "atcs05" as they are rated only for 330 hours/month. They
will have a very short life if left on continuously. The "atcx05" is rated
for continuous duty.

Personally I like Fugitsu drives. They have a new 60 Gbyte drive coming out
with a 16 meg buffer and is also 5400rpm. The 9.5mm height will help
compatibility with many devices. Impossible to find now due to its
popularity.

Brian C. Peters
BCP Consulting
[EMAIL PROTECTED]